Глава 4. Dinner at Fernly
Words to learn for Chapter 4:
- study — кабинет
- drawing-room — гостиная
- sliver table — туалетный столик
- glass lid — стеклянная крышка
- be engaged — быть помолвленным
- blackmail — шантажировать
- blackmailer — шантажист
- suspect — подозревать
- blue envelope — голубой конверт
- stranger — незнакомец
* * *
Задания к главе 4
Can you translate the words?
* * *
4. Now it is time to remember our characters. Some of them are dead.Write some information about each of them.
Characters of the Story «The Murder of Roger Ackroyd»:
- Mrs Ferras –
- Mrs Ferras’s husband –
- Dr. James Sheppard –
- Caroline Sheppard –
- Mr. Roger Ackroyd –
- Mrs. Ackroyd –
- Mrs. Cecil Ackroyd –
- Flora Ackroyd –
- Ralph Paton –
- Miss Russell –
- Parker –
- Geoffrey Raymond –
- Major Blunt –
- Hercule Poirot –
* * *
6. I hope you have read the chapter very carefully. Say if it is TRUE or FALSE.
8. But what about the blackmailing…. Translate the extract from the story «The Murder of Roger Ackroyd»
«Can you tell me the whole story?» I said.
«It’s like this. Three months ago I asked Mrs. Ferrars to marry me. She refused. I asked her again, and she agreed, but did not want anybody to know about our engagement before a year passed after her husband’s death. Yesterday I told her that a year had passed. And then — she told me everything. How she hated her husband, how her love for me was growing and what she finally did. Poison! My God! It was murder in cold blood.»
«Yes,» he went on in a low monotonous voice,» she told me everything. There is one person who knows about this murder — and this person has been blackmailing her for huge sums of money.»
«Who is that man?»
«She did not tell me his name,» said Ackroyd slowly.
«As a matter of fact, she did not say that it was a man. Perhaps it was a woman. But of course — »
«Of course,» I agreed. «I am sure it was a man. And you don’t suspect anybody?»
He was silent. «No,» he said, «it can’t be. I must be mad to think of such a thing. No, I won’t tell you whom I suspect — it can’t be so, it’s impossible. But I’ll tell you this: something which she said made me think that the person who blackmailed her was in my house — but no! It is impossible, too. I am sure I did not understand her. She saw that it was a great shock to me and refused to tell me the name of the blackmailer. I suppose she was afraid that I will go and kill him. She asked me to give her twenty-four hours. She told me that I would hear from her. And now she is dead. And it is my fault!»
At that moment doors opens noiselessly and Parker enters. He brings the evening post. Among the newspapers there is a blue envelope. It contains the letter which Mrs. Ferrars had written just before her death. This is it.
* * *
9. The questions to answer:
- Whom did Dr. Sheppard meet just near the door of the study?
- What did Dr. Sheppard tell that person?
- How many times did the church clock chime when he was going through the gates, coming back home?
- Who did he collide with on his way?
- What did the stranger ask him and what was special about his voice and appearance?
- What happened when Dr. Sheppard came home?
Ответы к заданиям для самопроверки — ПОЛУЧИТЬ ОТВЕТЫ