Agatha Christie. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (продолжение)
В этой главе вы узнаете, что полиция уже есть подозреваемый. Однако за расследование уже принялся Эркуль Пуаро. Какова же его версия?
Chapter 8. Inspector Raglan is Confident
Words to learn for Chapter 8:
- crowds of people — толпы людей
- reason — причина
- investigate the case — расследовать этот случай (дело)
- through the gate — через ворота
- reach the house- достигнуть дома
- pull out — вытащить
- representative of a firm — представитель фирмы
- change one’s mind — передумать
- silence — тишина
- commit the crime — совершить преступление
- confirm — подтвердить
- goose quil — гусиное перо
- a piece of cambric — кусок батиста
- Never mind. — Неважно.
- What a pity! — Какая жалость
* * *
Задания к главе 8
Do you remember the words?
- толпы людей
- расследовать дело
- совершить преступление
- гусиное перо
- кусок, кусочек
- Какая жалость
2. Look through the chapter up to the moment when Inspector Raglan came and answer the question: Who came to Roger Ackroyd last week and why? Describe that man.
3. Match synonyms:
Easy words: ask questions, be full of people, get to the house
Difficult words: be crowded with, make inquiries, reach the house
4. Look through the chapter up to the end and write when is the murder commited according to inspector Raglan. Draw the conclusion from facts.
Fact number 1: at 9.45 ___________________________(confirmed by ……)
Fact number 2: at 10.30 ___________________________(confirmed by…..)
Fact number 3: It follows that ________________________between 9.45 and 10 p.m.
5. Imagine that you are the police inspector Raglon and make inquires of the people who were in the house at the time of the murder. Act out dialogues and write what they were doing between 9.45 and 10 p.m.
The List of Suspects:
- Major Blunt —
- Mr. Raymond —
- Mrs. Ackroyd —
- Miss Flora Ackroyd —
- Parker —
- Miss Russel —
- Ursula Bourne (the maid) —
- Mrs. Cooper (the cook) —
- Mary Thripp (the kitchenmaid) —
- Mary Black (the woman who lives at the lodge) —
6. Who do you suspect? Write in comments.
7. Read the extract carefully. You see the police suspect Ralph Paton. Write how he commited the murder. What is the detail which seems the strangest in this version?
The inspector’s version said: «It is all clear enough. At twenty-five past nine Captain Paton passed the lodge. At nine-thirty Mr. Geoffrey heard that someone asked for money in the study and Mr. Ackroyd refused. What happened next? Captain Paton left in the same way. He walked about the terrace, very angry. He came to the open drawing-room French Window. It was about a quarter to ten. Miss Flora Ackroyd was saying good-night to her uncle. Mr. Raymond, Major Blunt and Mrs. Ackroyd were in the billiard room. The drawing-room was empty. Ralph Paton walked in, took the dagger from the Silver table and returned to the study window. After that — well, I don’t need to go into details. We can understand why he did not want to return to the hotel. He went to the station, rang up Dr. Sheppard from there.» «Why?» asked Poirot.
8. Answer the questions:
- Why did Poirot want to examine the summer house?
- What did he find there?
Ответы к заданиям для самопроверки — ПОЛУЧИТЬ ОТВЕТЫ