Answers to Chapter 5
- быть убитым
- быть удивленным
- быть обеспокоенным
- разбить, сломать
2. What floor is Roger Ackroyd’s study on? — It is on the ground floor (на первом этаже)
3. We are waiting for your descriptions.
4. What kind of crime was it? — It was a murder.
It can’t be a robbery because it seems only Mrs. Ferrars’s letter had disappeared.
It can’t be a suicide because no man can stab himself from behind.
5. 1. Possible conclusions:
- «A call that I have never made» => Parker denies making a call to Dr. Sheppard. It means that somebody else phohed pretending that he is Parker.
- The door was locked from the inside. => It means that the murderer got out of the study through the window after he had killed Roger Ackroyd.
- Where is the blue envelope?=> It has disappeared which means that the murder was connected with blackmailing.
- Who was the last person to see Roger Ackroyd alive? When? => According to Flora, she was the last person to see Roger Ackroyd alive because at a quarter to ten (and Parker saw confirms it) she came out of her uncle’s study. She said that she had come to say her uncle good night.
- Who was the last person to hear Roger Ackroyd talking? When?=> According to Geoffrey Raymond, at half past nine he heard Roger Ackroyd talking to somebody. He was saying, «You ask for money so often that I feel impossible to give you any more…»
5. 2. What was the time when Roger Ackroyd was alive, in your opinion? — Roger Ackroyd was probably alive at a quarter to ten (9.45) because he was seen by Flora Ackroyd.
6. We are waiting for your descriptions of main characters.
7. The witnesses’ evidence (показания свидетелей):
- Major Blunt says that it was not he who was talking to Roger Ackroyd at 9.30 because he didn’t see him after dinner.
- Geoffrey Raymond says that at 9.30 he wanted to ask him for some papers and went up to the door of his study and then he heard Roger Ackroyd talking to somebody. He was saying, «You ask for money so often that I feel impossible to give you any more…» On hearing this he went away and didn’t hear any more. At first he thought that Mr. Ackroyd was talking to Dr. Sheppard as they together went upstairs after dinner but now he understoond that he had already left by that time»
- Parker says that he didn’t make any call to Dr. Sheppard. He says nobody came to the house by the front door that evening. He saw Flora coming out of her uncle’s study at 9.45.
- Flora Ackroyd confirms that she was the last person to see Roger Ackroyd alive because at 9.45 she had come to say her uncle good night.
8. We are waiting for your answers.
* * *