Answers to Chapter 8
- дело, случай
- часть, кусок
- совершить преступление
- Ничего страшного!
- Как жаль!
2. It was the representative of a firm selling dictophones who came to the Roger Ackroyd last week. He was fair-haired and short. He was dressed in a blue suit.
3. Pairs of synonyms:
- ask questions (задавать вопросы) = make inquiries (наводить справки)
- be full of people (быть полным людей) = be crowded with people (заполнить толпами людей)
- get to the house (дойти до дома) = reach the house (достигнуть лома)
4. Let us follow the logic of inspector Raglan and make a deduction.
- Fact Number 1 is that at 9.45 Roger Ackroyd was seen alive by Flora Ackroyd.
- Fact Number 1 is that at 10.30 somebody called Dr. Sheppard and told him that the Roger Ackroyd was dead.
- So, (=>) we can draw a conlusion that the murder was commited between 9.45 and 10.30.
5. The dialogues to act out:
6. Write your name of the suspect in comments.
7. According to the inspector’s version, the strangest detail is the murderer’s call to Dr. Sheppard.
- Poirot wanted to investigate the summer house because it was on the way to the gate.
- He found a piece of cambric (a handkerchief) and a goose quill there.
* * *